Friday, January 20, 2012

"Anita and I Thank You for Your Support"



On Wednesday before leaving town for a couple of days, we posted an article, enthused and encouraged by our fellow Rick Perry supporters that the Governor's campaign was gaining momentum in South Carolina.  Thursday was a day full of activities for these two sisters,  and we did not watch television or hear news all day.  By the time we arrived at our destination we were met with the news that Governor Perry had decided to suspend his campaign for the presidency of the United States.  Words fail to express the overwhelming feeling of  sadness and disappointment which engulfed us.  Not having a computer with us we reached for the iPhone and there, in black and white, we read the confirmation from our friends on various support groups on Facebook that Governor Perry had indeed decided to end his quest just prior to the South Carolina debate.

We  really need time to read, research, reassess and collect out thoughts, before we write our final words on Governor Rick Perry's campaign.  At this time we don't endorse any candidate but we continue to encourage everyone to vote to save the United States of America and to defeat Barack Hussein Obama.   Meanwhile, we bring to our readers the Governor's own words of gratitude and farewell.

Two Sisters 




 
Today I am suspending my campaign for President.
Anita and I have been blessed by the many supporters who have believed in our conservative vision for the country.

Although I will no longer be on the campaign trail, I will continue to champion conservative principles: a Washington that is humbler with a federal government that is smaller, real tax reform that can spur economic growth, and a renewed commitment to fiscal discipline so the future of this country is not mortgaged on a mountain of debt.

As we return to Austin and the Texas I love, I am proud to continue as governor of this great state and will work every day to make Texas a better place to do business and create jobs for all Texans.

We cannot thank you enough for your generous support which enabled our campaign to champion these conservative values.

God bless.
Rick Perry


Text of Governor Perry’s Remarks

Thank you. As I have stated numerous times on the campaign trail, this campaign has never been about the candidates.

I ran for President because I love America, our people and our freedom. But the mission is greater than the man.

As I have traveled across this great country: from New Hampshire to California, from Iowa to Florida, and to numerous states in between, I have discovered a tremendous purpose and resiliency in our people. 

They have never lost hope despite current circumstances.

They haven’t stopped believing in the promise of America or the American Dream.

Americans are down, but we can never be counted out. We are too great a people. What is broken in America is not our people, but our politics.

And what we need is a Washington that is humbler, with a federal government that is smaller so our people can live freer.

I entered this campaign offering a unique perspective: a governor who has led a large state leading the nation in job creation, an executive leader who has implemented conservative policies, a son of tenant farmers born with little more than a good name, but who has experienced the great possibilities of freedom.

But I have never believed that the cause of conservatism is embodied by any one individual. Our party, and the conservative philosophy, transcends any one individual. It is a movement of ideas that are greater than any one of us, and that will live beyond our years.

As a former Air Force pilot, I know we can’t lose track of the ultimate objective in carrying out our mission, and that objective is not only to defeat President Obama, but to replace him with a conservative leader who will bring about real change.

Our country is hurting with more than 13 million unemployed, nearly 50 million on food stamps and a debt of more than $15 trillion and growing.
We need bold, conservative leadership that will take on the entrenched interests and give the American People their country back.

I have always believed the mission is greater than the man.

As I have contemplated the future of this campaign, I have come to the conclusion that there is no viable path to victory for my candidacy in 2012.

Therefore, today I am suspending my campaign and endorsing Newt Gingrich for president.

I believe Newt is a conservative visionary who can transform our country.

We have had our differences, which campaigns inevitably bring out. And Newt is not perfect, but who among us is?

The fact is, there is forgiveness for those who seek God and I believe in the power of redemption, for it is a central tenet of my own Christian faith.

And I have no question Newt Gingrich has the heart of a conservative reformer, the ability to rally and captivate the conservative movement and the courage to tell the Washington interests to take a hike if it’s what is best for the country.

As a Texan, I have never shied away from a good fight, especially when the cause was right.

But as someone who has always admired a great Texas forefather — Sam Houston — I know when it is time for a “strategic retreat.”

So I will leave the trail, return home to Texas and wind down my 2012 campaign organization. And I will do so with pride knowing I gave myself fully to a cause worthy of our country.

And as I head home, I do so with the love of my life by my side, a woman who makes every day a good one when she is by my side, my wife Anita.

Thank you Anita for all you have done.

I also want to thank my son Griffin, my daughter Sydney, and my daughter-in-law Meredith for standing with us in this great effort.

With a good wife, three wonderful children, and a loving God in my life, things will be good no matter what the future holds.

I’m proud of the policies we put forward to the American people and believe they provide the right path forward for our party and our nation: overhauling Washington and returning power to state and local governments and to the people, creating energy jobs and energy security, cutting spending and eliminating unnecessary federal agencies and cutting taxes to a flat, fair 20 percent.

And I will continue to fight for these conservative reforms because the future of our country is at stake and the road we are traveling today – President Obama’s road – endangers our future.

I want to thank some wonderful individuals who have stood by my side in this state: Katon Dawson, Ambassador Wilkins, and a strong and good man serving you in Congress, Mick Mulvaney.

I want to thank all my supporters from across the country, in particular Governor Bobby Jindal, Steve Forbes and Governor Sam Brownback, as well as Senator Jim Inhofe, Congresswoman Candice Miller and Congressman Sam Graves.

And I want to say a special thanks to three distinguished veterans who have joined me on the campaign trail: Medal of Honor awardee and Navy SEAL Mike Thornton, Navy Cross recipient Marcus Luttrell and Purple Heart recipient, Marine Captain Dan Moran.

I began this race with a sense of calling.

I felt led into this arena to fight for the future of this country.

I feel no different today than I did then, knowing a calling never guarantees a particular destination, but a journey that tests one’s faith and character.

So now the journey leads us back to Texas, neither discouraged nor disenchanted, but instead rewarded for the experience and resolute to remain in the arena and in the service of a great nation.

Our country needs bold leadership and a real transformation.

We must rise to the occasion and elect a conservative champion to put our nation back on the right track.
And this I know, I am not done fighting for the cause of conservatism. In fact I have only begun to fight.

Thank you, God bless you, and God bless America.



Posted on January 19th, 2012

Labels: